- Treating foot or nail fungus. Put a few teaspoons of oregano oil in a basin of water and soak your feet in it. You can also dilute the oil (mix a drop with a teaspoon of olive or coconut oil), and then apply it on your nails or skin.
- Killing parasites and infections. Dilute the oil (mix a drop with a drop of a carrier oil such as coconut oil), and place it under your tongue. Hold it there for a few minutes, and then rinse it out. Repeat this at least four times a day.
- Alleviating sinus infections and colds. Put a few drops of oregano oil in a pot of steaming water, and then inhale the steam.
- Urinary tract infections (UTIs) caused by bacteria like E. coli, Proteus,and Pseudomonas aeruginosa.
- Respiratory infections brought on by Klebsiella pneumoniae and Staphylococcus aureus bacteria strains.
- Yeast infections, even those that are resistant to the commonly used anti-fungal drug Diflucan.
- Parasitic infections caused by the amoeba giardia – it was even found to be more effective than antibiotics.
- Used as a cleansing and purifying agent
Extract Method: Steam Distillation
Part Plant: Leaves
Oregano is one of the most potent and powerful essential oils and has been used for centuries in traditional health practices for its cleansing and immune-boosting properties. The chemical components of this oil are carvacrol and thymol, both are in the phenol group which possess cleansing and antioxidant properties.
A Final Word of Warning
The potent mix of chemicals and active ingredients in oregano oil can be dangerous for pregnant women, as it has been known in some situations to cause miscarriages. Furthermore, a few varieties of pine can be toxic when consumed. Despite the versatility of this particular essential oil, it is important to never consume essential oils internally. Inhalation in the form of aromatherapy is safe in certain situations, but it is always better to speak with an herbalist or an aromatherapist before embarking on this sort of alternative treatment. Also, due to high concentration of chemicals in these oils, undiluted oils can bet very powerful and dangerous when your skin is directly exposed to it.